just my thoughts on the film, Closer

There are moments captured in the film that are truly lovely... quietly sexy and poignant. The part I like best is at Julia's characters photography opening.... Natalie Portman and Jude Law (they are lovers in the film) come to view the photos since Natalie is in one. The conversation is a bit trite between Natalie and Clive Owen (Julia's man in the movie)- they are off alone standing in front of the photo taken of Natalie. Out of nowhere there is the unbelievable tension between these two actors and just as suddenly, Clive stops and reaches up and touches Natalie's face. He lingers there for a seconds... staring deeply into her eyes, almost as if to kiss her, but he doesn't... and the music posted here below is playing-- its all light and airy but still has the slight pressure of attraction. Watching this part in the movie, you can nearly feel their breath - you are so caught up with them ..... its utterly beautiful. I hear this song and I'm right back there with those two, catching my breath with empty anticipation....

The moment ends just as quickly as it began- with no kiss. Its funny, all of the loose and promiscuous actions that are either shown or discussed in the movie make the film on the whole sort of hard to take. But for some reason the moment that I spoke of doesn't feel that way for me- as wanton as it almost was. This part comes across more desperate, moderately sad and abruptly passionate more so than many other parts in the movie that I viewed as a tad sleazy or narcissistic...but somehow not that scene. Anywho- I love that part... it honestly moves me.


Comments

Popular Posts